Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Basil's Bloodsucker

     I need to provide a quick update on Basil's condition (again Basil with a short "a"). In nursing him back to health, from his initial condition of bug eaten leaves, dried ends of leaves, and overall look of despair and pain, I kept him inside in the sun lit window for the first day. In examining some of his leaves and cleaning him up (removing the eaten leaves), I discovered it!! On the underside of one of the leaves, there I found a quite large caterpillar the same color green as the leaves. Camouflaged!! There he sat, probably having enjoyed his free reign of meals for weeks! Fat and happy. Although he was kind of cute, he was threatening my baby Basil's life by sucking the life from him. So I removed the caterpillar, thought about taking him back to Home Depot to shove in Ms. Un-interested's face since she said it couldn't possibly be bugs, but ultimately just set him outside to take on some other plant. This was two days ago, and now Basil is visibly happier, growing baby leaves and gets to be outside. "Oh yeah, they'll live no problem!" proclaimed Ms. Un-interested before we picked out our little ones, well I would say "Yeah they are going to live! Because of my attentive, loving care! Now eat this caterpillar!" More to come on Basil's already improving condition.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, so you put poor little Basil out in the big bad outdoors where you put the caterpillar?! Is it also a tomato-eating caterpillar? I'm afraid you were too kind to the caterpillar - maybe cuz it was green, harhar!

    ReplyDelete